Tuesday, May 31, 2005

And just when you think they had songs about everything...

A reporter at my station played me a song by Tim McGraw called "My Next Thirty Years." I wasn't much of a fan of the song, but the lyrics spoke a lot about what I am going through now. The words in the () is my commentary....

I think I'll take a moment celebrate my age (in Vegas)
End of an era and the turning of a page (damn straight)
Now it's time to focus in on where I go from here (right on)
Lord have mercy on my next thirty years (Because the last 30 were just the beginning)

In my next thirty years I'm gonna have some fun (I always do)
Try to forget about all the crazy things I've done (NEVER forget the crazy things I've done)
Maybe now I've conquer all my adolescent fears (Trying to get over them still)
And I'll do it better in my next thirty years

My next thirty years I'm gonna settle all the scores (Most are settled)
Cry a little less laugh a little more (Hardly ever cry--laugh a hell of a lot more)
Find a world of happiness without the hate and fear (Done that)
Figure out just what I'm doin' here in my next thirty years (Working on it)

For my next thirty years I'm gonna watch my weight (I am on track)
Eat a few more salads and not stay up so late (Salads yes, still going to stay up late)
Drink a little lemonade and not so many beers (Already do)
Maybe I'll remember my next thirty years

My next thirty years will be the best years of my life (I am going to make it so)
Raise a little family and hang out with my wife (This will take a while)
Spend precious moments with the ones that I hold dear (This will take a while)
Make up for lost time here in my next thirty years (Live for the moment--always have)
In my next thirty years

I don't know about you, but Faith whipped Tim McGraw out of his bad boy ways into introspection. I miss his edge. I never want to lose my edge. But maybe when I get a girlfriend that will change. But then again, I would want someone who makes me a better person and bring out the best in me. It's a lofty goal, but I've waited this long. Why not a little longer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home