Friday, January 05, 2007

One Big Golf ball of Controversy: Disney at New Years Pt. 1

They say that Disney World has a certain way of sparking dreams and imaginations. As you will see, it sparked something in me, as I have to set up several postings for my weekend there. Mainly a lot of observations that I have as an adult. I had gone to Disneyland twice, so I had some experience with the Magic Kingdom. But to see it about twenty years later says something. But two days didn’t really do it justice. I only caught two of the five parks, but they were the major ones.

I saw Epcot that Saturday. At first seeing the big golf ball, as I affectingly call it, my first thought was like a comment made on prom night—I thought it would be bigger. We got there about an hour after opening, and the lines had started to form immediately. The exhibits were like several I’ve seen before in other science interactive experiences. Although, I did enjoy the doing the conducting exhibit in the Disney Innovations area. The five senses ride lacked taste, literally. But it flowed well and it was educational to the kids.

We went to “The Land” portion of the park next, which had several rides, which included “Soarin”, which was already filling up. We decided to get a fast pass for the ride, (basically a way for you to wait in line without waiting in line) and went on to “The Seas” portion of the park, where they had a cute little ride featuring Nemo. It’s funny to see they recycled stuff from the movie. You notice this more as an adult, as you seen the movie and remember the same lines. It just goes to show, the spectacle makes you forget as a child.

We headed towards the country portions of the park, which quickly reminded me of the 1986 World’s Fair in Vancouver, Canada. Although there were sixty or seventy countries represented then, and there were a lot more exhibits and food. There were a dozen or so countries here. Not many rides—just restaurants and shops. So you can buy stuff and say you were there when you actually weren’t. Mexico and Norway did have rides which were mainly like “It’s a Small World” only more historical and bigger, with more human looking animatronics. I did try a few sombreros while I was there, and I’ve come to find that my head has grown bigger these past few years. Not my ego, however.

After a trip around the world, we hit “The Land” again, which we are early for our fast pass. So we hit a showing of “An Environmental Fable with the cast of the Lion King.” This is where I began to wonder about the motives of the creators of the cartoon. It started with two characters wanting to build a bunch of condos with an artificial lake. Zimba then goes on this tangent about environmental issues. I am wondering how the local developers are feeling about this cartoon? And I wonder if Al Gore had anything to do with it?

To be continued.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home