Friday, September 08, 2006

Capt. Time crunch

It's nice to know even with a full photog staff, that you are still reminded that we still have half the staff we should for this market.

Monday was a total disaster. Due to a certain Florida gubinatorial candidate being two and a half hour late and by-passing the media, I wound up missing slot for only the second time in my career. We are in the midst of flooding stories down here, which means flooded roads, which means more time getting to people. Right now, though, we are getting a little tired of saying the same thing over and over again. But that's what the station wants to air.

So it took me a while to get around and get to a live location. Which wasn't much time at all. Not time enough to edit and set up a live. Plus how complicated the staff back at the station is to take feeds and let us know what's up. Organization is something they never have nearing showtime.

In other words, everything was against me that night, and there was no way my story was going to make air on time. It happens--which the chief doesn't seem to understand well. I did get some blame for it, which one thing was my fault (I had to retrieve a tri-pod from a previous location) but still, I get basically chewed out for my time management. The last few days it wasn't an issue. Just some technical issues that have always been a problem. But we won't dive into that.

The bar is still short dj's, and with me not leaving station as late as midnight sometimes, they have been having to improvise. I am trying to recruit peeps to cover Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, but nine-to-fivers don't like to do those shifts. Hopefully we can get some college students who's schedules are more open. For right now, they'll just have to make due when I can't get there on time.

That's it for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home