Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Me, Baby V and Ridin the storm out

Hi all,

It has been an interesting week for once, as I got to meet a local celebrity here. Vonzell Solomon, a contestant from last season's American Idol is a local and did a concert for charity with other Idols from last season including Anwar and Nadia. When we first got to the venue, we were hoping to get an early interview with Baby V (Vonzell's nickname), but she wasn't in makeup yet and was going to do a sound check. But I was introduced, and I thought I was getting a simple handshake but to my surprise, she hugged me. Amy, the reporter I was with, covered her during his three month stint on the show. So basically everyone involved in the event knew her.

Sorry to say I didn't get a pic with Baby V, because they ran late in the press conference. But I did get some great shots of the concert, which I will post later on. I got shots of Anwar and Nadia as well. (It would have been Jessica Serra and Nikko Smith as well, but they never showed.) I did give Nadia and Anwar a story to tell after the show, as when they were watching Vonzell in the front row, I was zipping past them bent over to get shots from the other side of the stage and almost biffed it in front of them. But I caught myself.

If you haven't been watching the news, we are now bracing for Wilma down here. The first hurricane I have ever covered. People are basically lined up for gas at all the stations, which are running out of it fast. I was asked by my news director if I wanted to evacuate or work during the storm. I figure I basically have no place to go and don't want to stand there doing nothing, so I will be one of many photogs bring you the pictures of Wilma hittting Florida.

I am not scared at all, although I am hoping my camera can handle all the rain. I am on a 12 hour shift on Saturday, so it'll be busy for a while. I will make sure to take pics to post later on as well. During the worst of it, I am going to be holding up at the station with plenty of food and water.

I will post after the storm passes if the internet here is still up. I will be very careful and hopefully go through this initiation without a hitch. Let's just hope that Wilma doesn't bam bam too much and leave us with pebbles.

Laters,

MarQ

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, you seem to go from one adventure to another. You be careful during the storm. You are so brave, staying with the ship when you could have bailed.What dedication.

6:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, please be careful this weekend.This could be a very dangerous storm. My thoughts will be with you.

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, is your station an ABC station? I saw a story about the hurricane last night and thought it must be you. My heart skipped a beat.

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, are you alright?Let me know.

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home