Monday, July 10, 2006

Shoot or not to shoot

An ethical quandary of sorts...

After coming back from a live shot on Saturday, I was rushed out the door again to a hit and run fatal. (The assignment desk didn't contact us in the field on the way back, which meant I was wasted valuable time and missed the Shamrock-Ortiz on ppv. I was angry about it, but let's get back to the story.)

I got there just in time to catch the body (which was completely covered) entering the coroners car. I came back with the video and we didn't get to air it that night. I had told my producer what I had, as well as the reporter the next day about it. Both seemed fine with it. We used it the following newscast in a story.

I was given a call Monday morning (on my day off) from the reporter saying that everyone was sent an e-mail regarding "not showing body bags on tv."

Now, here is the ethical question...

If the body was completely covered, is it airable? Now, given the current state of tv (CSI, Law and Order, ect.) this is airable. However, it is more real, and it is a corpse.

Now, you may ask why I shot it. In my job, I have not very much editorial control. But I am told to shoot what I can and if it is questionable, it is up to the reporter and producer to decide. I did let them know what I had, and it was their decision either way. I am not saying this as a cop out, just saying that the censuses at the time was to show it. And now I know that it is something we will not air. If the other stations decide to, then that is their opinion and right to do so.

So, there's my ethical rant of the quarter.

Went to see Superman Returns and had a lot of problems with it. I could rant about it, but those of you who want to see it, I don't want to ruin it for you.

Laters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home