Saturday, July 01, 2006

It's Like De Ja Vroom all over again

What are the odds?

June 2003

After a long day of shooting a fire and an accident, we get the call at my old station that a car chase was happening on the highway heading towards the station. We get there just in time to get a quick shot of the chase, which ends in downtown Great Falls.

Fast forward...

June 2006

After a slow day for me (I was shooting something for next month) I hung around, and one of the producers was wondering why I was still there. I said, "What if breaking news happens?" She said she would "look the other way" if I left.

I stayed for the first few minutes of the show and began to unload my car, until I see about a dozen cop cars rushing pass the station. I quickly head in and ask the assignment desk about it. While she was trying to get a hold of the local cops, I heard over the scanner "He has a flat tire, we just past Cultural Park and he is on his rim now."

This was nearby, so I went off and followed the trail until I get to the scene a few miles away. The cops had stopped the van they were chasing, and confirmed a car chase happened. I get the video back to the station in enough time to edit it and put it on air. I tell the producer, "Didn't I tell you we'd have breaking news?"

Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home